Monday, February 28, 2011

Stage Fright. Stage Life.

Every time that I get on stage I feel more alive than I do in the rest of my life. The audience's expectation surges before me, my own nervousness and severe displeasure at the raspiness of my voice surge behind me.

But then I open my mouth, and magic happens.

The best part of the performance is the introduction. Or maybe the middle, but definitely, most definitely not the end. I love the "oh hey what's up, this is me, I'm gonna sing for you, hope you know this song, if you don't, it still applies to you...somehow".. Because when I'm on stage, it's as if everyone knows that I am super awkward and a little clumsy and I say weird stuff. But tonight, on this stage, it's a plus.

By day we try to disdain the frivolities of our night lives. But when we're at a performance, we're ourselves. Or at least I feel I'm myself at my most basic level, whether I'm on the stage or in the crowd. I always feel as though the layers have been peeled back in the hush before the first note. Whether I'm ticked off because I'm at a performance supporting a friend when I REALLY have work to do, or I'm the person at the microphone, fingering the chords for the song I learned how to play two hours ago, and am about to perform.

Every time I get on stage, every time the light comes on, my cells go haywire, firing across synapses willy-nilly like some kinda hot mess computer or an electronic device in water. Actually, I feel just like an electronic device in water. Whatever the crowd is feeling washes all over me. And the only I can do in that awkward greeting moment is introduce myself. "My name is (Keri) I'm (so very) glad to meet y'all. Thanks for coming out, it's cool to see such an awesome crowd in action. Y'all just so excited, and from what I can see, you're looking cute too. Shoutouts to (anyone who actually knows me)."

I LOVE PERFORMING. if i had to do anything until the day i fell off this earth by mistake, i would sing and talk to everyone everyday. People finally let their guard down and just kick their feet up.

what a life i'm living. i need to get money so i can be doing these shows for free tho...

No comments: